Join us in
Diverse and supportive
We're all committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse, and friendly work environment. We embrace our differences and support everyone to do their best.
Excellence and ethics
To achieve excellence we need to be invested in our work. We're targeted about who we work with, seeking clients whose missions we support and who will support us to push boundaries and achieve greatness.
Be a creative powerhouse
You'll have freedom to learn, grow, and express your creativity. We support generalists to broaden their involvement in all parts of the business, and specialists to focus on their craft.
We're actively looking for a frontend developer to join us our studio in Hobart, Tasmania.
Our frontend devs work on projects from start to finish—providing expertise at the discovery, strategy, and design phases as well as core responsibility through the development phase.
At NJ, you'll have freedom to express your creativity with support to learn and grow, and an expectation that you'll contribute to social learning.
We're a flexible team and will be able to accommodate a broad range of skills and experience. We don't want to scare anyone off with a list of requirements, but the core role requires
- An eye for detail, along with an interest in good design or user experience
- Interest in frontend development practices and direction globally
- Working knowledge of the way different browsers and devices make your job a challenge (and provide opportunities to push boundaries)
Tell us about your skills or interest in any of the following
- Design, animation, or other creative/artistic endeavours
- Experience with programming languages and development environments
- CSS pre-processors (SASS, LESS etc)
- Static site generators (Next.js, Gatsby etc)
- Frontend build tools (Webpack, Gulp, Rollup etc)
- GIT and other version-control systems
- ESNext via Babel or similar
- Using and animating SVGs
- Open source contributions
- WCAG2 or other accessibility guidelines
- Emerging technologies like Augmented/Extended Reality, WebGL, WebAudio, Sensors, WebRTC etc
- App development on mobile, tablet, or desktop
- Backend web development
- Working with your team in quoting, discovery, planning, and strategy
- Working closely with the entire team, yet autonomously and with initiative
- Communicating effectively and proactively (internally and to clients)
- Participating in discussion (sometimes opinionated!) and communal learning
We'll give you
- A supportive team
- Flexible work options to suit your life (Really! Only one person on the team currently works normal full-time hours... and he works from home sometimes!)
- Opportunity to guide the direction of NJ
- Support to direct your own learning
- Time to contribute to open source projects
- Tools to complete the job (that suit your workflow)
- Cake on your birthday and NJ anniversary
If you're interested, send us an intro email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It can be brief and conversational—don't worry about formal cover letters or CVs. All enquiries will be confidential until you're ready to shout it from the rooftops.